Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

Hi im 17 years old and my girlfriend is 16 years old she will

Customer Question

Hi im 17 years old and my girlfriend is 16 years old she will be 17 on july 13 and I will be 18 on september 28. We want to know where we can get married at our age without parental consent, also she is pregnant.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, in any US state you and your bride would either have to have written parental consent and/or parents would have to be present and sign the marriage certificate.

I am afraid that the only other option is for both of you to wait to be 18 or for your girlfriend to legally emancipate from her parents, which would require a court petition for emancipation and your girlfriend would have to show an income from work and would have to live on her own and show to the court ability to pay her own bills without anyone's help.

I wish you the best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if she is pregnant
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, pregnancy does not grant someone under 18 any special rights or privileges to marry, however your 17 year old girlfriend would have full parental rights over the newborn baby, the same as any adult mother would have.

I wish you the best of luck!
I have provided you with correct an accurate answer and I am very sorry that unfortunately there is currently no state in the entire US which would allow you to marry your 17 year old pregnant girlfriend without parental consent or a court order.

Please understand that I cannot change the law, so please do not hold the fact that the law does not provide you with an option to marry without parental consent or legal emancipation against me personally, as your unfair bad rating does negatively affect my good reputation on this website.

Thank you and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions that I can answer for you and please don't forget to positively rate my answer.