Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

settlement made with X wife in divorce - california wife

settlement made with X wife in divorce - california

wife files lien on one of the properties defendent owns, which more than satisfies claim

can a second lien be filed on same issue
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Was wife's settlement paid off out of the proceeds of the sale of the first property?
.
Then did she file a second lien after that or were both liens filed at the same time?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no property was sold

judgement was filed to protect settlement of monthly obligation

second lien just showed up on another piece of propertyu owned by defendent (currently, 2 months later)

Thank you for the additional information. If the ex has an unpaid settlement, then she can legally file a lien on any real estate located in the state until it is paid. Once the settlement is paid, then she would have to file lien releases on all the property. The lien gives a person the right to encumber any property in the debtor's name so as to ensure that they are paid prior to the debtor getting any proceeds form the sale fo the property.
.
So if you have ten pieces of property each worth $100K and the settlement is $100K, she could file a lien on all ten pieces until the settlement is paid. Then she would have to file releases on all them once it is paid.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.