Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

Dear Expert, My mother left me a house in

Dear Expert,
My mother left me a house in another country. Can my husband make claims.
in the case of divprce?We live in the US.Should I just change the ownership to my son of a previous marriage to secure it. Any other suggestions.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Was mother in the US when she passed or abroad?
Was the house left to you solely, not to you both?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mother never was here in the US. I was born in that country and migrated here late in life. Got married in the US. House was left to me solely..

Ok, under US law, your spouse would have no claim to any property you inherited solely. But since this is property in another country and mother passed there, that country's laws would control and I couldn't comment on them.
With that said, if it is a concern, then it would be a good idea to transfer it out of your name as quickly as possible and into son's name so as to ensure that your spouse would not have any claim to it.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.