mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I am in therapy for fibromyalgia and arthritis

I am in therapy for fibromyalgia and arthritis. I just recently retire at the age of 55 due to a layoff with no promise of returning to work. Can I file for social security disability due to my disease and receive a pension, too? In Michigan

mmdesq :

Good Morning:

mmdesq :

The general answer to your question is yes. To apply for disability you must be unable to be gainfully employed as a result of a medical condition. To collect on your pension is a separate question and will be determined by the type of pension you have and the plan language regarding early retirement based upon disability. However, the mere collection of the Pension will not preclude the award of Social Security Disability.

mmdesq :

I would recommend applying for SSD and the Pension. A good free resource to use for the SSD application is your federal congressman's office' constituent services. They are usually very helpful and do not charge for their assistance. Good Luck. I hope this was helpful.