Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
17831645

Can social security special agents get a childs school re

Can social security special agents get a child's school records?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
Does this concern a child's disability claim?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's about her survivor's benefits

Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
Q. Can social security special agents get a child's school records?

A. Yes, but it would depend on the intended purpose of record review.
In other words, the records would have to in some way be relevant to the investigation into the social security benefit claim.

For example, a child’s benefits ordinarily stop with the month before the child reaches age 18, unless the child is either disabled or is a full-time elementary or secondary school student. So, if the claim is that the child is or was a student and therefore eligible, then the school records would help verify that the child is or was a full time student or secondary school student and eligible to receive benefits.

Likewise, a child whose benefits stopped at age 18 can have them started again if he or she becomes disabled before reaching age 22 or becomes a full-time elementary or secondary school student before reaching age 19. As with the first example, the school record would help support the claim.

Usually, though, the agents don't "get" the records per se. It is expected that the person filing the claim will simply provide them when necessary so as to get the desired benefits. Under the agency's rules, Social Security should be notified immediately if the
student drops out of school, changes from full-time to part-time attendance, is expelled or suspended, or changes schools. They ordinarily send each student a form at the start and end of the
school year for just this information, and benefits could be stopped if they do not receive back the fully completed form.

Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience: Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know why social security agents would be trying to verify my address? I have moved out of state and I told them that, but they keep going to addresses in my old state looking for me

Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
I will be happy to investigate the possibilities for you, but could you please rate the answer to your earlier question first, it is the only way I will receive credit? Or at least tell me whether the information I have provided to this point has been helpful to you at all. I will then begin on this next question. Thank you.
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
Q. Do you know why social security agents would be trying to verify my address? I have moved out of state and I told them that, but they keep going to addresses in my old state looking for me

The Social Security Administration has beefed up its security efforts as of late in response to an increase in scam artists. If they are investigation your old address, it may be an effort to contain or investigate what they believed to be an incident of fraud or “phishing” - people using your Social Security information at the old address or in the old state to claim benefits to which you alone are entitled. If a conflicting claim has been made, for example, they may require additional information to confirm residency.

If you haven't already, you can change your address online or check online to ensure that it is in fact changed, and also check your account information for any discrepancies. I have provided the web address below

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/219/related/1