Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

My 16 year old daughter gets a social security che ck because

My 16 year old daughter gets a social security che ck because her dad died about 4 years ago. She knows nothing about this. She thinks my husband is her dad, that I married when she was 2 years old. Now my psycho daughter in law told social security a pack of lies, I don't know what, but now they want to speak to my daughter. Can they question someone who is under age?

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

To answer your question directly, they can question a person who is underage.

texlawyer :

However, just like anyone else, she as the right to refuse to speak to them.

Customer:

If I have a lawyer, will she have to speak with them?

texlawyer :

Your having a lawyer does not impact whether your daughter can speak to them.

texlawyer :

She is never required to speak to the police. She, just like you, can refuse to answer any questions.

Customer:

I think the complaint was that since she went to school online in another state, they think I live separate from her.

Customer:

I'm her representative payee. Now special agents want to speak to her and me

texlawyer :

OK. Is your daughter in law accusing you of stealing her social security check?

Customer:

Probably. But since social security called her out of state school and the board of education in the actual state we lived in, I think it has something to do with where she lived, and if she lived with me

Customer:

They won't tell me what the allegations are

texlawyer :

OK. They aren't required to tell you, but I think that you can and should consult with a lawyer before answering any questions.

Customer:

ok thanks

texlawyer :

Glad to help.

texlawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Customer:

1 more thing

texlawyer :

Sure.

Customer:

The social security lady at the local office called my daughters school out of state and asked if they cared if she lived in another state, and they said no. Then she called the board of education in the state we lived in and asked them the same question. The board of education called CPS!! So, didn't the social security woman overstep her boundaries by doing all that?

texlawyer :

She may have violated Social Security policy, and it may have been unethical, but it is not illegal for her to do that.

texlawyer :

You have a legitimate complaint to her supervisors, but that won't impact the investigation.

Customer:

So I need to tell her supervisor about this

texlawyer :

I would wait to see where things go first. If this investigator plans to close the case out without recommending prosecution, you may not want to rock the boat.

Customer:

If I tell them to stop the benefits, will that stop the investigation?

texlawyer :

No, probably not.

Customer:

I havent done anything wrong, I have always lived with my daughter

texlawyer :

OK. Then the investigation will show that.

Customer:

I don't know why my address is so important to them

texlawyer :

It is really hard to say without knowing what the complaint was. It is possible they think she is living somwhere else, and that you aren't entitled to her benefits. Again, it is hard to say.

Customer:

ok thanks

texlawyer :

Glad to help.

texlawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Customer:

thats all. thanks

texlawyer :

OK. If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Have a great night.

texlawyer :

Also, if you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me here: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-texlawyer/