Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

If my baby daddy names is not on the birth cert But we did

If my baby daddy names is not on the birth cert
But we did have a test to prove he is the dad
I am on welfare why can they go after him for child support is it because he name is XXXXX XXXXX the birth cert
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Even if he is not on the birth certificate, if there was a test proving he was the dad, then any time you apply for government assistance of any type for the child, the government is going to seek contribution from the father who has a legal duty to pay support for his child (on the birth certificate or not). He has a right to challenge paternity if no test was ever done, but since the test was done proving he was the father, child support services will pursue him for support and for reimbursement for his share of any government money you received for the child, even against your wishes.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.