Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I was speaking with Barrister about something on the 13th,

I was speaking with Barrister about something on the 13th, but the saga continues and I have another question, should I ask someone else?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. A different contributor here.

It is always your choice as to whom to communicate with. The professional you are seeking appears to be offline but he will likely be back online in the morning. Please advise on whether or not you need immediate assistance or you can wait until the other professional returns. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to get an answer as soon as possible as I'd like to know if I should contact a lawyer in NV in the morning. My question to him was about having a relationship with an LV Police Officer who as it turns out is married. I had a panel of STD tats done and the results came back today. Herpes Type I very high and positive and Herpes Type II, Hep C, HIV 1 all have traces of antibodies but at this point are still negative. Also, Internal Affairs have contacts me and they want me to give a recorded statement as to the intimate nature of our relationship, is it ok t do that, or given the entire scenario, should I see an attorney.

Thank you for your follow-up, Staci. I reviewed the past questions and now I understand the situation a bit more.

So long as you yourself are not an officer in the LVPD, there is no concern for you in speaking with Internal Affairs. Engaging in an intimate relationship with an officer, even a married one, is not against the law. But if you yourself are an officer, and such fraternization is against the code of your department, retain counsel first before speaking with IA. Otherwise there is no need to do so.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not an officer, so I understand that giving a recorded statement is of no concern. As for the medical issues, is there a way to pursue this person for the positive STD results?

Staci,

I truly wish I had a different answer to give you than the one you received but unless you can prove that you were intentionally infected (not accidentally), there is no cause of action. And if you allege that this was intentional, you would have the burden of proving that fact in the courts. That is a fairly high burden if you have nothing in writing or anything that would tie him directly to the STDs, other than the intimacy. He has a great defense of stating that there is no evidence he caused the harm, you could have infected him or you were infected by other partners. And as that claim is as plausible as yours, the courts would likely dismiss.

I am sorry, I just have to be realistic here.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.