Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

I need to discuss pre nuptial agreements with an experienced

I need to discuss pre nuptial agreements with an experienced family court attorney in the state of Florida.
Good evening! I am a Florida family law attorney and I'd be happy to assist in this matter. What is your question? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I want to construct a prenuptial that will accomplish the following :

1. If the wife leaves the marriage, or files for divorce, she gets nothing.

2. If the husband leaves the wife, or divorces her, she will get 35 thousand a year alimony until l she remarries and a farm worth approximately one million dollars.

Thank you for the additional information. And what is your question in that regard?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can a agreement be constructed in this fashion ? Is it legal ?, Will it hold up in court.

In Florida, the intent of the pre-nup is to define pre-marital property and, generally, to declare that the property will not become marital property. In so doing, this property would then not be subject to equitable distribution in the event of a divorce.

Florida is a no-fault state. Meaning, it does not matter why the parties are getting divorced, they merely need to state that the marriage is irretrievably broken. In other words, the husband could have a dozen affairs or the wife could spend every bit of income and it is, for the most part, irrelevant. So, from a legal perspective, it matters not who files for divorce or why.

The second situation you described (the husband leaves the wife) presents an easier response. You indicated that the wife would receive $35,000 a year in spousal support and a property with significant value. Based on the minimal amount of information provided thus far, this could well be a reasonable result and, as such, legally viable.

The first situation you described (the wife leaves the husband) is a bit more problematic. Based on the information you have provided, the logical conclusion is that the husband has significant assets and/or income while the wife does not. Assuming this to be accurate, the wife getting nothing would only be a legally viable goal in a short term marriage. For example, if the marriage only lasted a couple years, it would not be unreasonable for the wife to receive nothing. However, if the marriage was long term, there would be a presumption in favor of spousal support. In that event, it is unlikely the pre-nup would be upheld in court.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

We started this discussion a little over an hour ago, it has grown late and I need to sign off for the evening so that I may prepare my files for the morning court appearances. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back online tomorrow to continue to assist you. Thank you for your patience.