Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

My wife filed for divorce in New Jersey, and as appropriate,

Customer Question

My wife filed for divorce in New Jersey, and as appropriate, I hired an attorney and filed an answer (my wife has not hired an attorney yet). Our first court appearance is coming up for the 'scheduling'...my attorney said I do not have to appear, because he is appearing on my behalf. Furthermore, he never seems to give me a clear "yes" or "no" when I ask if its in my best interest to appear. As it stands right now, my wife still does not have an attorney and plans to appear on her own (this could change).

My question is, is there any benefits or risks to me appearing with my attorney for this scheduling appearance?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

texlawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

It is not necessary for you to show up for a scheduling conference. All that will happen is the judge will set certain deadlines regarding discovery, hearings, etc. The scheduling conference will just make sure the case is moving along and deadlines are being met.

texlawyer :

There isn't any real advantage to you being there, other than potentially showing the judge that you care enough to show up at everything, but, at least in my experience, that won't have much (if any) impact on the judge. I say that without knowing anything about your particular judge, so take that statement for what it's worth.

Customer:

hmmm? In this case, my attorney is from a different county and would no know anything about the judge's preferences. However, I believe my wife is likely to appear (since she does not have an attorney - yet). so, there is a potential benefit to attending (i.e. 'showing the judge you care'), can you think of any risks with attending (considering that the wife will likely show up)...by the way, my wife and I still live together with out 2 children.

texlawyer :

I can't really think of any disadvantages, assuming you and your wife are civil with one another (or, at least, can pretend to be while in court).

texlawyer :

It just comes down to whether or not you want to go. My advice would be to go if you can. The judge may like it and there really is no harm.

Customer:

Thanks

Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience: I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.