FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I am the father of an eighteen year old girl but another person

I am the father of an eighteen year old girl but another person name was inserted on the birth certificate how do I go about having this corrected legally. I need to have her inserted on my financial documents.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It first needs to be determined what the basis of the error is. If your child is now 18 years old, this should have been done soon after she was born. If you were the legal father, paternity should have been established and it should have been corrected. If there is some other reason and the name was added in error, I have provided two links for you below, one with the forms that you will need and the process.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/services/vr-add-parent.shtml

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vr/bcorrect.pdf

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.