Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I have been going through a divorce for 3 years (in Tennessee)

I have been going through a divorce for 3 years (in Tennessee) My husband committed adultery with one of my employees. My lawyer insist that I DO NOT want to take the chance of going to trial. His income is $95,000 a year and mine is $15,000 per year He is offering $1,000 per month alimony for 5 years. Does this seem fair and equitable ? We were married for 17 1/2 years
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

What is your attorney concerned about regarding going to trial? Has there been a very unequal distribution of assets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She says' it is a crap shoot ' depends on the mood the judge is in at the time of trial. The judge could decide that I get nothing.

. He has 500,000 in his 401K I will get 32% because he had it 10 yrs before we married.

The girlfriend has been living in my house for 2 years. Does not work so she pays no bills and is now driving a brand new car. I AM LIVING IN A RUN DOWN RENTAL AND MY CAR IS 8 YRS OLD. yES I am still bitter

Thank you for your response.

$1000 per month does not appear equitable based upon the information you have provided to me.

Tennessee statutes set the guidelines for spousal support. The court may award support when it finds that one party is economically disadvantaged relative to the other party. This clearly appears to be your situation.

You may read the statutes at this link:

My best suggestion is that you consider obtaining a 2nd opinion from another local family law attorney

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This attorney has cost me $12,000 already (I borrowed from friends and family) Also I just found out the opposing attorney sends all of her mediation clients to my attorney. Is this not a conflict of interest.

My lawyer does not want to tick her off because she sends her a lot of business. I don't feel that my attorney has MY best interest at heart but I can not afford another attorney. It seems hopeless

The fact that opposing counsel since all of her mediation clients to your attorney may mean that your attorney does not litigate but rather always settles. This would put you at a great disadvantage in negotiations

Consider at least one consultation with the best litigator in the area. Sometimes when there is such a disparity in income a good litigator can force the opposing spouse to pay his fees and to provide temporary support during the pendency of the proceeding..

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"