Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

For Five Star Law - I have seen some of your work and i would

For Five Star Law - I have seen some of your work and i would like you to answer my question my step daughter is getting married what happens if she gets divorced and does not have a prenuptial agreement
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Hello and Welcome Back,

I recall working with you previously.

In Florida property is divided according to equitable distribution principles in the absence of a valid prenuptial agreement. What this means in plain English is that almost property acquired during the marriage (with the exception of inheritances, personal injury awards, and gifts given to only one spouse) is divided by the court. Inheritances, property owned before the marriage, personal injury awards, and gifts given to only one spouse are not divided

If this division of assets is not acceptable to your stepdaughter, I suggest that she retain local counsel and enter into a prenuptial agreement

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.

Best regards,
FiveStarLaw