Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can you site case law that pertains to one spouse being unduly

Can you site case law that pertains to one spouse being unduly enriched at the expense of the other by a court ordered action during a divorce proceeding?.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry about your situation. I am going to send several citations, but, without knowing more, it is hard to know exactly what you are looking for. Please let me know if you need anything else or something more specific.

Coney v. Coney, 503 A. 2d 912 - NJ: Superior Court, Chancery Div. 1985 (Internal citations omitted.)
"The court may impose a resulting trust where one party purchases property with consideration furnished in whole or in part by the other party with the intention by the title holder to hold the title in trust for the party providing the consideration. he constructive trust theory, the quasi-contract theory, and quantum meruit theory are not based upon any actual intent of the parties, but are arbitrarily imposed by the court to prevent an unjust enrichment."

"Defendant suggests that this court declare the property to be non-marital and plaintiff's remedy limited to the mortgage pay-down, as set forth in Griffith, supra. Without question, such a result would be grossly inequitable to plaintiff and result in an unjust enrichment to defendant. If the equitable distribution statute does not apply to the facts of this case, the court will impose the equitable remedies to avoid that result."

Mahoney v. Mahoney, 442 A. 2d 1062 - NJ: Appellate Div. 1982
"A working spouse who contributes to the education of another spouse does so certainly with the expectation that there will be in the future some benefit derived from such a sacrifice. The court is convinced that the facts of this case and the interrelationship of the parties mandate some credit to the working spouse by the spouse who pursued and achieved an education during the marriage. To ignore the contributions of the sacrificing spouse would be to work an injustice, an unfair advantage to the spouse who has gained the education and degree without obligation. There would be an unjust enrichment of the educated spouse."
Kozlowski v. Kozlowski, 395 A. 2d 913 - NJ: Superior Court, Chancery Div. 1978
"Our case law supports the equitable principle that unjust enrichment of one party at the expense of the other will not be tolerated. The acceptance of valuable services performed under circumstances justifying the conclusion that it would be inequitable to allow the recipient to enjoy the benefit without compensation therefore supports relief by way of quantum meruit, quasi-contract, constructive trust or implied contract, as may be appropriate if no express contract exists. Our rules permit the employment within the pleadings of any or, in the alternative, all of these theories of relief. R. 4:5-6 and R. 4:5-7; see also, Power-Matics, Inc. v. Ligotti, 79 N.J. Super. 294, 304 (App. Div. 1963)."

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This involves distribution of "equity" in the marital home at the time the home prices were inflated. It caused me to ad on debt in a refinance and take on a higher interest rate. The mortgage also doubled. The property is now under water and the other party has been unduly enriched at my expense. He is now seeking to collect more from my pension. I would like consideration for the sum he has already received that has placed a financial burden on me. At least 50% of it should be returned or credited.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

You state:

"I must respond to a tentative order entered by a judge based on a motion that was filed. I am preparing a response."

What order do you mean? Do you mean the final order? A temporary order? Which motion? Can you tell more, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It will be a final order if I don't respond in two days. My ex filed a motion to have his rights enforced by my pension company to be paid because I am currently in payment status. He is not in payment status. I have been in payment status since July 2011. I'm sure he is going to try to get back payments.

Also, my retirement was only temporary to deal with my health issues. I expect to be back to work within a year.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
B,

Thank you for your reply.

In this case, Kozlowski v. Kozlowski, 395 A. 2d 913 - NJ: Superior Court, Chancery Div. 1978 applies, arguably:

I do not believe you will find anything else more on point.

Keep in mind that case law may be used in argument, but it is suggestive, and the Judge may or may not agree. But this should at the very least help the argument.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think it would also help if I mention the fact that I only retired temporarily for a health condition that needed to be address, which by the way existed before the marriage and that my ex was fully aware of it?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Friend,

Thank you for your follow up.

I believe so. It may also be prudent to illustrate that the other party was aware, via an email/text or other record where they demonstrate said knowledge, if such a record exists.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.