Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

my daughter was living in florida with her husband who is abusive

my daughter was living in florida with her husband who is abusive and a drug addict she finally moved with her 2 children back to our house in north Carolina. she is afraid to go back to florida. she has no job no family support and no where to live. in north Carolina she has us, her parents, a house large enough to accomadte everyone and a good school system. she wants to stay with us. what are her options

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

FiveStarLaw :

How long had she been living in North Carolina?

Hello Robin,

How long has your daughter been living in North Carolina?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

shes only been with us 2 weeks. I also forgot to tell you that cps is involved and they know she is in nc with the children. they know everything tha has been going on for the last 2 years. original plan was for her to only come for summer vacation. but he sends threating etexts and has a few times said some things to the boys on the phone

Thank you very much for your response Robin.

She may want to petition the court in North Carolina for emergency custody.

Typically when a custody action is filed, it must be filed in the home state of the child. The home state is the state in which the child has lived for the six months prior to filing. In your grandchildren's situation this would be Florida. However there are exceptions for emergency situations such as domestic violence or child abuse. Your daughter's situation appears to be such an emergency that would allow her to file for emergency custody in North Carolina.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Hello Robin,

Thank you very much for the "good service" rating

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"