Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Ely, If the Respondents attorney backs out before the final

Ely,

If the Respondents attorney backs out before the final hearing (It is alleged that there are issues of him not being paid) what is the likelihood of a forced continuance? Also, would this reset any rules/laws/events like Discovery, temp orders, or anything else?
Hello friend and thank you for requesting me - I am away from the site at the moment but I should reply by the evening - my apologies in advance for the wait. I just wanted to let you know. No need to reply to this communique.
Hello friend,

If the Respondents attorney backs out before the final hearing (It is alleged that there are issues of him not being paid) what is the likelihood of a forced continuance?

Chances are high for one, although the Judge likely would not grant another. If the attorney baked out at the last second, the Judge normally does grant a continuance to find another attorney, but not more than once (in general).

Also, would this reset any rules/laws/events like Discovery, temp orders, or anything else?

No - the deadlines should not be altered. Also, some attorneys feel that if they come on the case late, they can file a Motion for Leave to extend some deadlines, but the Judges often deny this! If an attorney signs on the case with a Notice of Appearance, they are telling the Court "I'm ready" and are presumed to be able to pick up where the other left of. Hence, Texas Judges seldom extend said deadlines in such situations, but of course, it is at the Court's discretion. And - the attorney has to ask, too, it is not 'automatic.'

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.