Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

Hello, my son is divorced. He has been served in Florida. he is unemployed and intends t

Hello, my son is divorced. He has been served in Florida. he is unemployed and intends to represent himself. We have several questions about the 'answer' he is sending. Is someone available? Questions are...

1. His ex wife's attorney has filed in a different county (Orange)than the divorce was finalized (Miami)in without first filing
a motion to transfer venue. He says the proper venue is where the children has resided for more than 6 months. I understand that's a big no-no. Is there anything we can do about that? Does he file the answer with Orange and/or Miami Dade?

2. Does he send documents providing proof of why he disagrees with each statement in his answer? Or will he have the opportunity to show a judge at a later date?

3. Doesn't the current visitation stand until the judge makes a decision? She's acting like what she's asking for is already in force.

I know its a lot of questions. Thank you for any help you can give us
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

1. He would file in the county in which the current action was filed, Orange County. However, instead of filing an answer, he might consider filing a motion to dismiss arguing, as you suggested, that the action was never transferred from Miami-Dade and, as such, remains a Miami-Dade case.

.

2. No, he would not need to attach documents demonstrating proof. Instead, an answer would merely admit or deny the allegations.

.

3. Yes, unless/until a judge changes the previous court order, that order remains valid and both parties are required to abide by it.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Joseph. Could you please tell me what his options are to enforce the visitation? She is not letting him see the kids for fathers day and says they will not be home if he should drive from Miami to Oveido to see them. Is there at least some way we could get this on the record? What should he do please?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

If a person fails to abide by a court order in a family law case, the recourse is to file a motion for contempt and enforcement. The motion would detail the order that is in place and provide information as to how it is being violated. Once the motion is filed, he could then set it for a hearing and present testimony and evidence to support his allegations.

.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have been very helpful. One more question for now. Are these motions, to dismiss and contempt and enforcement, in pre- set forms and where can he get them?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

The Orange County clerk of court may have template documents for such a situation, he can contact them on Monday or check their website, clerks often put the documents online. I searched the site a bit and did not see such a motion. However, he may have better luck, the main page is located at www.myorangeclerk.com.

.
.
.
.

Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator