Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I filed for a dissolution of domestic partnership in California

I filed for a dissolution of domestic partnership in California on May 12, 2008. My partner and I have been going back and forth for during the entire five years and had 3 court hearing continued. The most recent one "Mandatory Settlement Hearing" was extended pass the five year limit (the original date was within the five year period). The court date is on June 17, 2013.

Is the case still valid or can she request that the case is dismissed and restart the process all over again?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, since this is an active petition and an active hearing, this is still a valid case. She cannot therefore successfully request that the case be dismissed--she could only do so if the case was abandoned by you or otherwise withdrawn. Otherwise she is unable to affect this case.

Good luck.