Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

I am trying to find the most commonly used site to figure out

I am trying to find the most commonly used site to figure out child custody support calculator. I live in Alameda county. I have seen the following site online, but it does not take into account the assets and debts of the parents. And I thought that was relevant. For instance, will I be paid less if the dad has a lot of credit card debt? To me, that is not the baby's fault he runs up the credit cards. So if you could please answer that and also point me to the site that is most commonly used would be great.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but credit card debt is not taken into consideration. Generally courts look at the payer's gross income minus mandatory deductions, such as health care costs, taxes, union dues, and so forth. Then the net income is what is used to calculate support. Other debts are not taken into consideration, for example the reason you mentioned--the fact one parent may be running up high debts does not and should not affect the child's support levels.

The link you have is the formal governmental link and the one most parties, even attorneys, use to provide a reasonable estimate of obligation.