Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

In florida.... If my spouse is a legal guardian for her mentally

In florida.... If my spouse is a legal guardian for her mentally disabled brother. He has a large sum of money that she is 100% in control of. She has used some of these funds for attorneys fees and paid herself a salary. Can that sum of money which is over $200,000 be considered as part of her and I's assets and therefore subject to equitable distribution when it comes to the time of dividing up our "assets"?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Can that sum of money which is over $200,000 be considered as part of her and I's assets and therefore subject to equitable distribution when it comes to the time of dividing up our "assets"?
.
No, wife doesn't own those assets. She is merely in control of them as the custodian for older brother. They are owned by the older brother and if anyone was to take or use the funds for some improper purpose, they could be charged with criminal theft. A person doesn't somehow become an owner of the ward's assets because they are appointed legal guardian by the court.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.