Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My wife was first married in Arizona, then in New Hampshire,

My wife was first married in Arizona, then in New Hampshire, to the same man. Both with marriage licenses. They divorced in New Hampshire. Is her divorce valid?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. The answer is yes, her divorce is valid and she would be seen as "divorced" from her first husband.

Two individuals can only be married "once." Once they are married, then any further marriage is seen as purely 'ceremonial' in law. (This is why some couples literally get married again for their 30 years, for example).

As such, regardless of how many times they officially married, only one divorce is needed for the marriage to be dissolved. Ergo, her divorce in NH rendered her divorced from that individual.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)