How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26559
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are separated, were ready to file but she refuses

Resolved Question:

My wife and I are separated, we're ready to file but she refuses to discuss joint custody. Her parents went through an ugly divorce when she was a child and her mother took off with her brother to another state. Her fear is that unless i give her sole custody she thinks I'd have a legal right to do something similar with our two children. She won't listen rationally to what joint custody would mean. I understand that if I fight her on this that it will get long and ugly and expensive to go through the courts. I really don't want to put my kids through this, and I'd like to salvage how we relate to each other down the roads since we'll always be tied together through the kids anyway.

She is approaching it from an emotional state, but I'm trying to weigh what it means to me legally. She said she'd let the kids see me whenever and wherever they want and would include verbiage that says she cannot move out of state or something without my approval.

She wants me to come over and discuss splitting our assets and setting a visitation schedule and everything else that would make this an amicable split. She's offering me anything in assets as long as I grant her sole custody. I'm less worried about my financial situation and more interested in doing what is best for my children (12 & 7) in the long run. She has an attorney that would write up what we discuss and she says she'd let me take it to a lawyer to look at.

I guess I have a couple questions:

What am I giving up by granting sole custody and becoming a non-custodial parent?

And if I go over there in in the next hour and we write this up is it considered an agreement? Do I need to make sure there is something in there that says pending review of my attorney? I don't plan to sign anything, but am I making a mistake in going to do this tonight?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your questions


I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard


Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

There are two types of custody. There is LEGAL and there is PHYSICAL


And so she could have sole PHYSICAL custody and you two could share the LEGAL custody. Having the legal custody means that neither of you can make life changing decisions that are not an emergency situation without the consent and agreement of the other. So for instance, the 12 year old comes home to her and says "I want to get a tat" AND she says OK. That cannot happen unless she first discusses it with you and you agree.


Now, if she has sole physical custody with the shared Legal custody, then you will be responsible for more of the child support. If you both share Legal and Physical then she would be responsible for some share of the child support.


And she is correct, if can be stipulated that she cannot move away with the children farther than a specified radius from your home which is generally 50 miles.

So if you are going to agree to the Sole Physical to her with the share legal, then I suggest you would want to have overnights in your visitation plan. Such as Friday from 6 pm til Sunday 6 pm - every weekend, every other weekend.


If you want joint custody, then tell her - you want to share the physical and the legal and that you will have the children from Sunday at 6pm until you drop them to school on Wednesday and then she has them until Sunday


Also work in the summer vacations, holidays, Mother's day she gets them, Father's day you get them with all birthdays alternating even and odd years.


So as to your rights - if she has sole physical - the only right is not seeing the kids as much as you'd like.


But as long as you share the LEGAL custody, all your parental rights remain


I hope this has been helpful. You can respond here if you need more clarification.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the response. I'm supposed to be over there to begin discussing and write up how we'd like this split to go right now actaully.


So if I can show her your reply and we can write something up into the this agreement she wants me to write up. How binding is it? I don't want to agree to or sign anything that hasn't been vetted by my representation.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.



As long as you get everything reviewed by your local attorney and then any signatures in front of a Notary


Once filed with the court it is binding until either of you file a Modification to change the custody order that the court will issue based on your agreement.





Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And what she wants is Sole Physical and Legal custody.


If I agree to both those things I know I'd be giving up life changing decisions as well. Can we still agree on a vistation schedule like in your example? We can still write in that the kids remain within a certain mile radius of both parents? Am I seen by the state as abandoning anything to do with my children's lives by giving up legal custody?


She says she'd always consult with me on life changing issues. And I believe she would.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.



Yes - you can write it up anyway you want and as long as court feels it is in the best interest of the child, then I suggest they would grant an order based on your decisions.


There is no abandonment associated with this.


But again, I suggest you might want to consider not giving up the Legal custody.



Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26559
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Samuel II and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: