Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I have Primary custody of a 5 year old and joint with her Paternal

I have Primary custody of a 5 year old and joint with her Paternal Grandma. The father is in no position to take care of her and admits it. The mother wants her but then neglects her. I am wondering if it is legal in the state of virginia where we all live to record a conversation i might have with the mother without her knowing it is being recorded. It iwould not be on the phone but rather at the mall.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is yes, it is lawful to do so. Under Va. Code Ann. § 19.2-61, during in-person communications, provided that at least one of the parties conversing has knowledge/gives consent of the recording, it is allowed. Ergo, there is no need to get consent of anyone else provided that the recording party is party to the conversation.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)