How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25947
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of a divorce and my husband drew up the

This answer was rated:

I am in the process of a divorce and my husband drew up the papers and sent them to me today. I do not agree with some of the language. What should I do? I do not have an attorney.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What exactly where these papers that he drafted? Are they to be filed with the court? Is your husband represented by an attorney?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He sent divorce papers which is going to be no-fault and we are very civil towards each other. The court date is set for June 24th so I only have a week to respond. He is in the military and has an attorney.

Thank you for the additional information. It is important to remember that you should never sign something which you do not agree with. If a response is needed, you have every legal right to respond to what is contained within those papers and address your concerns/issues/disputes, line by line and number by number. Your response should be filed with the court and a copy should be sent to his attorney. Since you husband is represented by an attorney, the papers were likely drafted by the attorney. If everything is civil, you can always reach out to him and his attorney and see if they would agree to make the changes to expedite the matter. You also should be aware that if the changes will not be made or if the issues can not be worked out, it will be come contested and delay the divorce proceedings. If the issue is only with the language that is used, you can certainly try and see if they will change it and add/delete the language which you have a problem with, still pleasing both parties. If not, then make sure you respond and address the issues/concerns, to make sure you interest is protected. Since these were drafted by his attorney, I am inclined to think that they were done so as favorable to him, as possible.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you