Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

Hello, Can you please define Ex Parte, in Kern County, CA?

Hello, Can you please define Ex Parte, in Kern County, CA? No one is married, or seeking divorce. Dad is seeking custody, says there is an "Ex Parte Hearing", today, Monday, at 10 am. We were informed by the dad, yesterday, Sunday. We have received no paperwork from the dad, or the court. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you for your question, Pamela. Please permit me to assist you.

"Ex parte" simply means that one party is seeking a hearing for one party. In this case an ex parte hearing means that he is seeking an emergency hearing on the basis that going through the longer and more conventional hearings would somehow not be in the best interest for the child. For example if one parent is attempting to abduct the child and go across state lines, seeking an emergency ex parte hearing by requesting emergency sole custody would be the proper approach. No paperwork would be sent because if the other party does not appear, the court is still able to make a decision. However, as the court system is based on both parties having their day in court, an ex parte decision is always temporary and is based on the parties both appearing at some point for a full hearing regardless of the emergency hearing outcome. It would be very much in the mother's interest to go to court and appear at this hearing if she can.

Good luck.