How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Oh I thought I just asked my second question. Ok I will post

This answer was rated:

Oh I thought I just asked my second question. Ok I will post again. I want to know if my 18 year old Daughter can request or her Mother, my ex wife of 18 years; reinstatement of my Parental rights. Really all I want is to be recognized as her biological and true Father in records. I would support her as my other 2 children and treat them the same. I am married again for 16 years. I have a 4 year old son and 11 year old daughter with my current spouse. Can I have my rights back or be declared the Father of my daughter again. I was pushed with no money or other options really at age 20 into signing the voluntary termination of rights. I want to be listed as her Father again. She is 18 and headed to college.
Thank you for your follow-up, John. I am not sure if you saw my response, so please allow me to repost it below:

Thank you for your follow-up, John. I would be happy to assist you again.

Once the child is an adult, parental rights cannot really be restored. But then again you do not need those rights anymore. Please allow me to explain.

"Parental rights" are rights that an adult parent has toward a minor child pertaining to physical custody and legal decisions, such as child care, schooling, medical decisions, religious training, and so forth. Once a child is 18, the child is an adult and can make those decisions herself. Those 'parental rights' are no longer needed because that is something the child can do for herself. This is why there is nothing to restore, you can simply consider being part of her life and so long as you are still listed on the birth certificate as her father, you have the same rights as the mother at this point (really).

Good luck.


Dimitry, Esq.

To speak with me again, please follow the link or request me by name.

Please rate my information as "great service" if you found it to be useful. Thank you!
Dimitry K., Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions