FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

I am originally from Texas. I lived in Illinois and had a

I am originally from Texas. I lived in Illinois and had a baby with a man that I am not married to. We lived together and he is on the birth certificate. He has a drug and alcohol problem and has been verbally abusive, and I am afraid it will escalate. I have returned home to my mother in Texas. He is sending threatening emails. What can I do to protect my rights.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The first thing you want to do is save and gather these emails, as evidence to document the harassment and threats. You then have two options, with the first being to contact the police in the county where he resides and speaking with them about filing a report and advising them of the situation, with you living outside of the State. The second option would be to file for a protective order in Texas, so you will be afforded some protection against him and any contact either in person, over the internet, on the phone or through a third party. The clerk of court in the county where you reside, should have the forms for you to fill out and file and I have also provided a link for you below, with the step by step instructions on what you need to do. Once you file for it, a hearing will be set and you will need to appear to present your case to the Judge, as to why the order should be imposed. Seeing how he lives out of the State, he may not bother appearing or even responding, at which point the Judge may just grant the protective order. You may also want to contact the police in the county where you reside as well, so it is documented and law enforcement is on notice.