Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I live in Minnesota and a girl I slept with thinks shes pregnant

I live in Minnesota and a girl I slept with thinks she's pregnant with my kid. If it is mine, is there a way to give up all rights to the child and not pay support. It was a mistake on my part, and poor judgement.

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

Ok, thank you. I'll wait for your advice.

texlawyer :

Are you thinking about just giving up rights to the mother or giving the child up for adoption?

Customer:

I'd like to give it up for adoption, but I think she wants to keep it. Neither of us have the financial means for a child.

Customer:

I think she wants to keep it just for child support.

Customer:

So if she wants to keep it, I'd like to give rights to her, and not have anything to do with a child that I didn't want and that neither of us can support.

texlawyer :

Termination of parental rights does relieve the parent of child support obligations.

Customer:

So that is something I can do?

texlawyer :

However, your rights may only be terminated by a judge. As such, the judge will have to determine if your rights should be terminated. If you tell the judge that you want your rights terminated simply to avoid child support payments, it is unlikely that the judge will go along with that.

Customer:

well, I am in school, trying to get somewhere, and I feel that she is just having the baby so she can avoid having a job and live of my money

texlawyer :

Your money child support money will not be enough to support her, especially if your income is relatively low while you are in school'

Customer:

Its extremely low, but she hasnt held a job in the last 6 months. she lives with her mother

texlawyer :

If you want to figure out what your obligations will be, you can use this calculator tool:

texlawyer :

If you want to avoid child support, the best chance you have is to convince her to give the child up for adoption. If the child is adopted, you don't have to pay child support.

Customer:

Ok, well thanks for your time. Ill just have to wait and see what happens when she knows for sure.

texlawyer :

Glad to help.

texlawyer :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No, I guess that will be all. Thanks again. Have a good night.