Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

For determining value and division of community property in

For determining value and division of community property in CA, is it considered community property if I had other bank accounts before marriage?

texlawyer :

Thanks for requesting me.

texlawyer :

Property, including bank accounts, that you had prior to the marriage are considered your separate property.

Customer:

Ok, but what if I earned some money during marriage and I put it in that bank account?

texlawyer :

If you co-mingled separate property and community property, you have to "trace" the funds. In other words, you have to untangle what is community property and what is still your separate property.

Customer:

Oh ok. Thanks