Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I currently have an agreement filed with the court for visitation

I currently have an agreement filed with the court for visitation with my son. He will be 3 in July, and I would like to begin going by the Indiana State Guidelines for the visitation times. These guidelines give me more time than what his mother is willing to give me. How can I get the guidelines to take effect when he turns 3?

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Welcome,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

FiveStarLaw :

Does your parenting plan state that your parenting time is per Indiana State Guidelines or does it set forth other times?

Welcome Brandon,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right now it sets forth other times

Thank you for your response.

You may petition the court for modification to the parenting plan to establish Indiana State Guidelines based upon the best interests of your child.

Custody is subject to modification at any time there is a substantial change in circumstances that affects the best interest of the child. Indiana State Guideline is presumed to be in the best interest of the child.

Would you like me to find the paperwork necessary for you to apply for modification?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please!

Indiana does not make the custody modification forms available online. This leaves you with several choices to obtain the forms necessary:
1. Contact the clerk of the court were your custody order was issued and inquire whether they have the forms available.
2. Contact the local legal aid services office and request a copy of the forms: http://www.indianalegalservices.org/library/1
3. Go to a local law library ( usually at a main courthouse) and photocopy the forms.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.