Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

My ex-husband and I have joint custody of our 17-year old daughter.

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I have joint custody of our 17-year old daughter. Last October my ex and my daughter began seeing a family therapists to help them with their communication and the problems they were having with his girlfriend moving in, having a baby, etc. I have never met or spoken with the therapists. After a particularly emotional week with my daughter(the week the baby was born) my daughter went to the therapist by herself. After that session I called and left a message asking if I could meet with her to discuss my daughters well-being and to see if she had any suggestions for things I could be doing and saying when she is with me to help her through this difficult time. A few days later the therapist left a message saying my ex had refused to give her consent to meet with me. Don't I have a legal right to meet with the therapist since my daughter is a minor and I have joint legal custody of her? I understand their are confidentiality issues when it comes to dealing with therapist and their patients, but I do not want to meet with her to discuss my ex, I just want to help my daughter.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Don't I have a legal right to meet with the therapist since my daughter is a minor and I have joint legal custody of her?
.
In situations like this, if the therapist feels that it would be a conflict of interest to meet with you while she is having sessions with your ex, she would have to notify him about your request and obtain his written permission to meet with you. If he refuses to consent, then the therapist would be legally prohibited from providing any services.
.
Professionals like therapists, attorneys, psychiatrists, etc. all have a legal and ethical duty to their client first and are obligated to refuse to provide services to a related party if they feel that there is a conflict that can't be waived.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.