Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

Im currently seperated.My Husband decided to Walk out on me

Im currently seperated.My Husband decided to Walk out on me back in February 2013. We had been Married at that point over 7 Years. No prior problems. Until things got a little suspicious to me of his irratic behavior. Over a short period he had changed into someone my children and grandkids didn't come to know any longer.
So were currently living in seperate house holds. His plan is to continue with the Divorce.Though I have refused to sign any papers stating. My concern is if hes filed the Papers do I have to sign them? Is it wise I go ahead and get an Attorney to help me withmy rights as a Wife? What right now should I be doing to Protect myself and my Future?
Thank You for Listening,
Kerry Stanfill

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

A divorce can be an intimidating process. I'll try to help you as much as I can.

texlawyer :

First off, not signing the divorce agreement doesn't mean you will won't get divorced. A divorce can proceed without both spouses consent. If you don't reach some kind of divorce settlement, however, the process can drag out much longer and potentially cost you much more money.

texlawyer :

If he's proceeding with a divorce, it would be prudent for you to get a lawyer. Having a lawyer will help protect your rights, make sure you get the best settlement possible, and help you deal with the child custody issues (which is often the most contentious part of a divorce).

texlawyer :

Suffice to say, if a person wants a divorce, they will get it. You would be wise to be a part of the process.

Customer: TexLawyer,
texlawyer :

Hello.

texlawyer :

Do you have any questions?

texlawyer :

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have since spoke with my Husbands Attorney. She made it sounds as though I was suppose to feel sorry for him! He took my Car away. The Bank took it from him because he stop payments on it. So now I'm left without a Vehicle to drive. I still haven't received any Spousal Support & it looks like our Court date is this coming Friday. Which from what his Attorney said. We should be meeting with the Judge in his Chambers to have a Private Conference to see if we can come to an Agreement
On the Finance Part of things. I told her I wanted him to pay Spousal & get me another Car since he took the other back & stop paying for it on purpose just to keep to from me! What should I do now?
Did you hire a lawyer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not! I have looked into every avenue that is available. I've even been to the Help Center. The Lady was very rude & didn't want to assist me at all. So I'm left handling this myself! Court is Friday. A I can do is walk in with the Knowledge that I've got. My Husband knows that Finacilly I can't afford and Attorney so he thinks that he's going to walk ways owing me nothing! Which by Law I've read I'm entitled to receive half of his Retirment & 401k & Spousal. There are several other things of like to bring to the Judges Attention? Please any help or advice would be Greatly Appreciated!
Thank You Kerry Stanfill