Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Hello- I have a Dev. disabled son, 31, doesnt live with me.

Customer Question

Hello- I have a Dev. disabled son, 31, doesn't live with me. My ex and commomn law wife have been getting his paycheck & SSI for a few years now. They do help him shop for food. They called the other day wanting me to "sign off" my son to her because he (ex) is dying. Said the law changed and they didn't know it and I had to do it. Seemed urgent. I don't trust either of them. My son is also getting an inheritance soon. How much does she get paid to do this? How would I gain gaurdianship? Thanks for your help.
K. Klock
Wa.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

It seems like she wants you to sign guardianship over your son to her so she can continue to be his payee and get his disability money and keep control over not only that money but over any inheritance he would get from his father when he dies. It sounds here that she is trying to get control over all of your son's money and if you do not know what they are doing with the money then you have a responsibility to your son to find out before you decide to sign anything.

Also, if you have any question over what she is doing, you should not sign off on guardianship and should get him an attorney instead to represent him and be his independent guardian and trustee so she cannot abuse his finances as I suspect she is doing or preparing to do.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the state of Wa.. , how much does she get paid for this?

There is no set fee for this in WA. The courts would have to approve her charging any fees and it would be based on what is reasonable to the court based on the services performed. Unless fees are approved by the court, no fees can be charged or taken.