Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

I cannot apply for passport due to child support I cannot

I cannot apply for passport due to child support
I cannot pay the balance at once

What should I do
Can I reduce the balance
Can I make installment
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and look forward to providing you this information

Unfortunately, any time you are $2500 or more in arrears you are precluded from obtaining a passport and the only way to get one is to have the amount of the arrearage reduced. You can contact the Child Support Enforcement agency and request they allow you to make installments until you are down to the limit - and they may allow that but it is in addition to your regular payments that you have to make

Many times, interest is attached to the arrearage amount, too. So you have that to deal with.

Your other option is that if you can get the other parent to agree to have the arrears waived, you can file a Motion with the court to have that done.

Please note that I can only answer what you ask and so if you have more questions or need clarification, please ask it here. Otherwise, I thank you in advance for a positive rating.

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I can negoatiate with AG, then what I should do to present to passport agency ?

Will they issue in if I am in a plan

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Once you get an agreement they will give you a letter but you still must get it down to below the threshold of $2500. There is no way around that.

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi even if u timely comply to an contract with AG

CAN AG lift the restriction

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Yes, the AG can lift the restriction if they are so inclined.
Samuel II, Attorney at Law