Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

hi i live in michigan and i am questioning how does it work

hi i live in michigan and i am questioning how does it work if i owe say 17000 dollars to a individual that i lost a court hearing to what is the process to guaranchee my wages to pay it back do they have to tell me that they are doing it or do we go to court

Hello and welcome,

Yes, a notice of garnishment should normally be served on you prior to the garnishment taking effect, so you have an opportunity to object to the garnishment.

You may use form MC-49 to object to the writ of garnishment if necessary, but the garnishment should not take effect without notice to you in any case.

Here is a link which provides additional information on the garnishment process in MI:

http://courts.mi.gov/self-help/center/collect/pages/garnishing-money.aspx

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again.