FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I am 17 years old live in California and have graduated from

I am 17 years old live in California and have graduated from high school. I would like to marry my boyfriend who lives in Kansas he is 37 years old and is a Medical Doctor. Do I need both my parents consent or just one? or if possible is there anyway I can marry without their consent? And If i must get there consent how will I show there consent? do they have to be there at the time?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Welcome,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

FiveStarLaw :

Both California and Kansas require a person to be 18 years old to marry without parental consent

FiveStarLaw :

17-year-olds may marry in both states with the consent of one parent and a court order of approval

FiveStarLaw :

If you know which state you plan to marry in I can search for the Court forms

Customer:

I would only like to get married in Kansas

Customer:

how do i get a court order approval ? and a consent from my mother?

FiveStarLaw :

ok - one moment please while I search for the forms

Customer:

Ok, Thank you

FiveStarLaw :

Here is the link to the applicable statute: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/402-00/210.PDF

FiveStarLaw :

The form is not online. Your fiancée can pick up the required form at the clerk of the court's office and you can have your parents sign in the presence of a notary

Customer:

so does my mom have to be there

Customer:

or can he just mail it over and i can bring back?

FiveStarLaw :

He can mail the form and you can bring it back with you

Customer:

ok so basically all i need is the one signature from her ?

FiveStarLaw :

Typically the court will want both parents to sign.

FiveStarLaw :

It will depend upon the clerk/Judge whether one signature will be sufficient

Customer:

my parents are divorced and i currently live with my mom and stepdad

FiveStarLaw :

Does your mother have legal custody

FiveStarLaw :

are you still there

Customer:

well i'm not sure actually i think my dad does i just moved up here with my mom about a year ago and everything i need she signs

FiveStarLaw :

If your father has legal custody, the court will likely require his signature

Customer:

ok. thank you

FiveStarLaw :

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.

FiveStarLaw :

Good luck with the wedding and marriage!

Customer:

oh and one more thing i read that the marriage license in kansas last 6 month what does that mean?

FiveStarLaw :

It means that you must actually marry within 6 months of applying for the license or you will need to reapply for the license

Customer:

oh ok so how long the process actully take?

FiveStarLaw :

A few days

Customer:

ok great thank you !

FiveStarLaw :

Again good luck to you – please remember to leave a positive rating

Customer:

i will thank you

FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.