Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I am successor trustee and executor of my late fathers trust

I am successor trustee and executor of my late father's trust and ready to make the final distribution to myself and my brother, the only beneficiaries. It will include the check and a complete accounting of the trust assets from the time of my father's death through the final distribution. The final tax returns have been filed. What additional steps, if any, are required to dissolve the trust in the state of California? Is it automatic with the closing of the bank accounts, or do I need to file any forms?

Thanks!

texlawyer :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

No, the trust is not automatically dissolved.

Customer:

OK...Can you tell me where I can find the steps and forms to dissolve it?

texlawyer :

The process to dissolve a trust is usually quite simple. All you need to do is execute an amendment to the trust, simply stating that the trust is terminated on whatever effective date decide upon. Of course, that should be done after all the assets are transferred and the purpose of the trust has been fully met.

Customer:

Sounds easy. Do I need to follow a template, or just state what you indicated? And does a copy need to be distributed to any official agencies, beneficiaries, etc?

texlawyer :

It really just needs to be a two sentence amendment, signed by you. It is really quite simple.

Customer:

Great. So just create the amendment and keep it in my records, right?

texlawyer :

Yes, and attach a copy of the amendment to the trust. If it has been filed with the court, you need to attach a copy to that, as well.

texlawyer :

Do you have any questions?

Customer:

Nope, Thanks