How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27018
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband has asked for a continuance on a child support

This answer was rated:

My ex-husband has asked for a continuance on a child support hearing to obtain legal counsel for a child support case. He is forcing the kids to ask for money as a method of controlling what money I have to support the children. My 14 year-old daughter wants to write a letter to the judge and explain what he is doing. Will the judge even look at this letter? Will the judge take into account any money he has been sending via MoneyGram in his favor? Also, just yesterday, he told my daughter, "Is your mom going to be using any of the money I send you?"  He wanted the kids to take pictures of their receipts and send them in picture messages to show  for what they used the money he sent them through MoneyGram.  He only pays me $252 a month in child support plus a little extra for arrears.  The Kansas Child Support Services is wanting to modify his child support to $1,029 a month based off both of our incomes.  Isn't there anything that can be legally done to prevent this kind of manipulation and controlling behavior? He is self-employed, lives in a nice home with his girlfriend, and drives a nice truck, all of which are in other people's names. He also hasn't filed taxes for two years. 


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The judge will listen to your daughter if she wants to testify. It would be better for her to either appear at the hearing and take the stand or talk to the judge in chambers than to send a letter, because he'll want to know that it represents how she really feels, rather than that she wrote what a parent told her to, or someone else wrote and told her to sign it.

If there is evidence that your ex is hiding money, the judge will consider it. It would depend on why he is sending money via MoneyGram and what is happening, but if he's hiding funds, yes, that will be considered. There is nothing in the law that requires you to account for every penny spent on the children, and no judge is likely to approve that request. Are you supposed to take pictures of the kids holding the electric bill? A mortgage statement? That's just silly, and the judge isn't likely to allow it.

You have the ability to present all of the evidence that you have that he is hiding assets and income. You can also ask the judge to enforce the state's recommendation. If they already did the investigation and can substantiate the amount that is owed, that should help significantly.

If he hasn't filed taxes in two years, you can report him to the IRS.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is sending MoneyGram payments to control how money is spent. He tells the kids, "If you need money, just call me." So, the kids call and ask for money for various things. If they want shoes or something extra, they'll call their dad for money, but if it is for a household expense or an expense I need help with to support the kids that he foresees benefits me in some way, shape, or form, he will deny the money. Just so you know, I was in an abusive marriage, and I finally got out of it after sixteen years. This is his way of controlling me. Isn't there any legal way I can prove that what he is doing is just furthering the abuse after divorce?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a copy of an old PFA to prove that he was abusive, and he also got arrested for breaking that PFA. If the lawyer handling the case for the State of Kansas has this, will they use that as proof that his sending money via MoneyGram and using the kids to manipulate funds is part of the abuse?

I'm sorry to hear that he is doing this.

You can ask the judge to order him to stop doing that, and to make all payments directly to you in accordance with the court order. You can also ask that all money sent to the children be construed as gifts to the child and not be counted toward what he owes for child support. If he is ordered to pay $X per month, and he doesn't send you that amount he could be held in contempt of course.

I can't say that the state will use that PFA as evidence of abuse, but they may use it when considering how much to order him to pay. You may want to contact them to see if they have that information, to ensure that their investigation is based on all the facts.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27018
Experience: Attorney with experience in family law.
Lucy, Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions