Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My wife discovered some text messages I sent that I shouldnt

Customer Question

My wife discovered some text messages I sent that I shouldn't have, that were nonetheless completely harmless and went nowhere beyond a few messages (honest!). She was very upset about it and took photos of my phone messages (unbeknownst to me, of course) and then later had private detective look into it.
Yes, there are some trust issues obviously, but this is nothing that will end our marriage.

Still, I'm a little burnt up at the idea of some slimy private detective having a file folder in his cabinet with my name and photos of my cell phone screen. I want to ask my wife to have the detective destroy the folder, but I don't know what my rights or her rights would be to ensure it is destroyed.

While you might think it is very unlikely, my concern is that the detective could someday use the screenshots to make trouble for me or extort money or sth like that.

My wife already understands that what I did was pure cyber-stupid, and that I would not act on anything like that in reality (and I wouldn't!), I don't know what this unknown person could or would do, but it could be damaging. So again, need to know my rights as the subject of this investigation and my wife's rights as the client.

Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Basically, this would be a contractual issue between your wife and PI that she has hired.

Did your wife sign a written agreement for services with this PI and does the agreement address this issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'll have to get back to you on that.

Dear Gary,

No problem. Please check on that and let me know.