Erin M. JD
Erin M. JD, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practice Family Law in Texas
74472731

Do I need to declare a divorce on my Michigan marriage license

Do I need to declare a divorce on my Michigan marriage license application if my previous marriage and divorce both happened in Pakistan? I haven't declared either in the US, but I have official documents from the Pakistan government showing the divorce is final.

Erin M. JD :

Hello! I am Erin and I am here to help answer your question, today. Are you referring to the portion of the Michigan marriage license application that asks about times previously married?

Since you are submitting an application that is considered a legal document, it would be best to report that you have one previous marriage, and to report your date of divorce (even if it is not in the United States). If, for some reason, your application is looked into further and it is discovered that you were previously married, you could be charged with perjury.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that's what I thought. And yes I was referring to the question where it asks for 'Times Married'.

The thought in my mind was that since the marriage and divorce happened in a foreign country and I said I was married before, would they ask me to file for divorce in the US to prove it, or is the documentation I already have sufficient, or will they simply not ask (Marriage/Divorce happened in 2010)?

This is the reasoning in my mind, and definitely not to hide or commit perjury or anything.

You just have to put the times married, but you do not have to provide documentation of the divorce. What county are you going to be married in, and I will attempt to find information for that particular county for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oakland County

https://www.oakgov.com/clerkrod/vital_records/Pages/marriage_license.aspx This is the link to the Oakland County information to Apply for Marriage License. You should have the copy of the divorce available if requested, but other county websites specifically state that the documentation is not required. I hope this helps!