Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I am in the process of getting divorce. Stay at home Mom 14

I am in the process of getting divorce. Stay at home Mom 14 years. Mom of 4. Youngest in 1st grade. I took part time job at school this year to get back into work force, make some money and so I can still care for kids. Have temporary orders. Husband pays me support each week for kids. He is controlling Controlled everything and every penny for most of our marriage. He is ordered to pay mortage and household bills. He changed his work hours and will get less money. Says he can not make house payment anymore. He comes and goes as he pleases sometimes not returning home 3 or 4 days at a time, then just shows up without notifying me. I need help. I had a lawyer and owe her money but she let me go. I need to find someone to help me and my kids so e can be done. I don't know where to go for help. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Do you wish to handle this going forward on your own, or are you seeking a new attorney to assist you? Approximately what is your spouse's wage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am hoping to find an attorney to help me. Our next court date is July 15 or 17. I believe his income was 142,816 and i got the number from our 2012 income tax return papers.

Lori,

With such a large income you should be able to retain counsel. A smart family law attorney could file a request that the other party pay for your attorney fees on account that he is in a far stronger financial position than you. We here at JustAnswer cannot provide you with counsel but I urge you to consider browsing the listings at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com for competent counsel. When you speak with those attorneys, bring evidence of his wages and then request that they consider filing for this petition that I suggested. It is something courts tend to grant when you were a stay-at-home parent and had no disposable income of your own.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am extremely disappointed that i spent $48.00 for that response. I have already been to those web sites looking for an attorney to help me. I was hoping to get information on organizations that help people like me. I am sorry that I said poor service because you did answer my question, although your answer was obvious, and you did repond to me very quickly so thank you for that. What I really need is a few names of people that would actulaay help me. I have tried what you told me.

Lori,

I am sorry that you were disappointed. We here at JustAnswer cannot represent you offline and we also cannot personally refer you to specific attorneys as that would violate site rules. Kindly do not rate my answer as poor when I am working under site constraints. Obvious or not, I have no idea what you tried or didn't try as I was only going by the facts you provided. Your other options may be to contact LegalAid and see if they could assist, or contact your county bar association for potential pro bono opportunities. There may also be women's groups in the area who can provide you with severely discounted representation.

Please take care.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.