Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I recently received a letter from a woman, claiming that I

I recently received a letter from a woman, claiming that I am her birth father. She recently found who her birth mother was. During that search it was bought to her attention that I am her birth father. She says she was adopted 3 days after her birth. According to her adoption papers I was not aware of her birth in July 1970. I was not aware of any of this until I received her letter. She states in her letter that she just needs the final pieces to a 40+ year puzzle. As of yet I have not contacted her. What should be my next step.
Thank You

texlawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

Thank You

texlawyer :

What are your concerns with this situation?

texlawyer :

Legally speaking.

Customer:

I just want to protect my family.

texlawyer :

Since your parental rights were terminated 40+ years ago, you have no legal exposure in this situation. She can't sue you for anything. You could not owe her back child support, or anything of that nature. She is, at this point, little more than a stranger. Legally, you are under no obligation to even speak to her. Of course, you may decide to, but you won't have some kind of legal exposure if you do.

Customer:

So as courtesy, it would be ok to respond to her inquiry

texlawyer :

Yes. Doing so will not put you at any sort of legal risk.

Customer:

Thank you very much

texlawyer :

Glad to help.

Hi, Bob,
I just wanted to follow up with you and see how things went with the letter you received. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.