Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Law Since 2000
23192590

What does child support typically cover? I get child support

What does child support typically cover? I get child support and my ex insists that i am therefore responsible for childrens music instruments for school, 1000 bucks each, as he "does not agree that they take music" . He says i have to pay for the kids passports, and for all the presents the kids bring to parties they go to on his weekends. The bday parties, confirmation parties and bar and bat mitvazs runs me hundreds of hundreds of dollars. Today i had to pay 250 dollars for their passports that he also needs for his travels with them. I also cover medical expenses not covered by insurance (this he should share acc to ageement), school trips. He says the child support covers all. What is correct?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Attorney Wayne :

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system until satisfied. Instead, please click CONTINUE CONVERSATION for more info. Hello. Thanks for contacting us.

Attorney Wayne :

Child support is based on a percentage of parental income, accounting for the difference in each parent's salary or other sources of money. In the most technical sense, that amount is the payer's legal obligation to support the child. For those who have more resources, it is not unusual to enter into additional agreements over paying for additional needs or wants -- be it music lessons, summer camp, private school or college. But there is no obligation beyond that child support.

Attorney Wayne :

The way to deal with unique situations,if negotiations (or simply, parental love) don't work to shake additional money free, is to go back to court and ask for modification of child support in light of changed circumstances.

Attorney Wayne :

The other parent can respond with reasons no more money should be forced into the child support pot, or can agree to pay for certain things directly (as happens when parents don't trust each other and think the other parent is not using the money to pay for the child's needs).

Attorney Wayne :

Based on good evidence, courts have power to make changes -- if it is in the best interests of the child (which is the legal standard).

Attorney Wayne :

Please let me know if this requires any clarification, by typing your query in the next text box.

Customer: Really? Reading online articles i find that child support typically covers food clothing and shelter type expenses but that exracurricar activities,uninsured medical expenses and educational expenses are not included in the support. For example, if child causes damage to someone elses propretry or say crashes the car, is it the responsibility of the parent who receives childsupport to cover such unexpected bills?
Attorney Wayne :

That is a contractual matter between the doctor (all ask for a "guarantor" on the intake form), of by order of the court (which orders restitution.) These things are often based on custody at the time -- which parent was legally obliged to do something. In heavily contentious divorces, parents sadly continue to fight over money for the kids as a proxy for hurt feelings or psychiatric pathologies; that is why courts often need to be involved -- and if parental love and decency don't sway the other party, a good reason to go to court to seek additional money beyond what is stated in child support. In fact, when people resolve matters through things like mediation or collaboration, they often have detailed agreements on things like medical bills, extra-curricular activities and college costs, in advance.

Attorney Wayne :

If that's not done, disputes can often arise. And if they can't be solved by discussion and agreement, then courts need to be involved.

Attorney Wayne :

I'm sorry I can't provide the answer you hoped for -- but I can only give out accurate legal information, even if the customer might be disappointed. I hope you'll understand that when you rate the transaction. Many thanks.

Customer: Thank you
Attorney Wayne, Lawyer
Experience: Practicing Law Since 2000