I am considering filing for divorce. I was not sure whether I should do it but given the situation with Domestic Violence is serious and I dont see him projecting remorse I want to make sure my baby and I are protected. I want to understand what are my chances of best preserving my assets and winning custody. If I wait and see how he handles DV case - I would love to preserve my family but only if my husband will take serious corrective actions. I was also trying to help him to avoid criminal record by talking to DA and his lawyer. His lawyer was very nice but when I told him that I will need to go on a business trip he called me back interrogating who the baby be with - I dont understand how is it relevant and got scared that he wants to try to take the baby... I would love to hear your perspective on the situation. Hope its clear enough.
New York, we have been married for 6m
Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
So a better bet for me is to go into divorce right away vs. trying to see if the family is salvageable, correct? Also can you recommend any attorneys? Also in my case will the process be long?
also is there any way for me to limit his visitation? I dont want him to interfere with the baby as his lifestyle is bad news. After she grows up - I will let her choose, but not now.
Ok - just one last question. If I decide to give it a shot - when is the latest I can file for divorce to still have minimal impact on the property and spousal support. I want to preserve all of the pre-marital property as it was all mine.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).