Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I live in Minnesota and have physical custody of my children.

I live in Minnesota and have physical custody of my children. We have a wedding in Iowa this weekend and my exhusband is saying that he must give me permission to take my kids across state line overnight and if he does not give me permission I cannot go to the wedding. What are the laws regarding this if there is nothing in the decree regarding crossing state lines overnight with kids?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

texlawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

I'm assuming that you are scheduled to have custody of the children this weekend, correct?

Customer:

Yes I am

texlawyer :

OK. There is no specific law mandating that one parent have the permission of the other parent. This is usually governed by the custody agreement entered by the court.

texlawyer :

A standard custody agreement does say what he's telling you, but if yours doesn't, you aren't bound by that.

Customer:

I didn't think so, but before leaving I wanted to make sure so that he cannot try to pull anything with me.

texlawyer :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if your custody agreement doesn't address parental consent when going out of state, you may do so without his permission.

Customer:

I just read through the decree and there is nothing stating that I have to have permission from him regarding this.

Customer:

In fact, there is nothing in the decree at all about taking the kids out of state lines.

texlawyer :

Then you are OK to go. He's probably getting information from someone who does have that in their decree, so he's assuming his must, as well.

Customer:

Thank you. I feel better.

texlawyer :

Also, your decree may address relocating out of state, which he is getting confused with an overnight or weekend family trip.

Customer:

Nothing about moving out of state in the decree either. That's good to know for future references.

texlawyer :

Well, if your decree doesn't address it, you are good to go this weekend.

texlawyer :

Can I help you with anything else?

Customer:

Thank you so much. No that was my main concern.

texlawyer :

Glad to help.

Customer:

I appreciate it. Takes a load of my mind.

texlawyer :

If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you sign off. Good luck and have fun in Iowa!

Customer:

Thank you I will do so.

Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience: I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Hi! I just wanted to follow up with you and see if your ex caused any problems with you going to Iowa. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.