Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Im legally separeted,no kids under 21 no assets , y just filed

I'm legally separeted,no kids under 21 no assets , y just filed for divorce, but she does'not want to sign the papers because she wants to stay under my health insurance for ever, and I can't afford to pay for her, i'm retired and I don't make enough money to support myself,i get $ 412 a month and I don't know what to do
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response: I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.

If you have unilaterally filed for divorce, you do not need to have your spouse to agree in order for you to get a divorce. However, if she does not sign—if she does not agree, it only means that the divorce would take a little longer. It does not mean that you cannot get a divorce. If one party wants out of the marriage, the Court cannot force that party to remain married. But you need to make sure that you have properly filed your papers in order for the divorce to occur. The Court would schedule proper hearings in the case.

For more information on the divorce process in the Commonwealth of Virginia and to make sure that you have followed the procedures, click on the links below:

http://sites.lawhelp.org/documents/81281divorce.htm#3

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofw/pdf/vadivorceprocedures.pdf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She lives in CA. and I live in Va. She wants me to pay for traveling expenses and any expense this may cause to her

Response: Does she want you to pay for these expenses in order for her to agree to the divorce? If so, if you do not have to agree to pay the expenses and more importantly, the Court cannot order you to pay for her expenses if you do not have the ability to pay, which you appear not to have.

Let me know if you have additional information.

Thank you for the positive rating,