How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26709
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i file for joint custody to protect me from mom getting

This answer was rated:

how do i file for joint custody to protect me from mom getting to file first?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand your concern. Would you mind sharing with me what State you are located in? Also, who has custody of the child now? Is mom looking for sole custody ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm in CA and we haven't filed yet but shes threatening. Shes the one thats been out all nite drinking approx 4-5 times a week for the last 2-3 months. I need to file first.

Jon, thank you for the additional information. To get a court order for custody, you must file forms at the Clerk’s Office. The forms you need depend on your situation. If you are married to the other parent then you would likely need to file a divorce or legal separation or a Petition for Custody and Support of Minor Children or if you are not married to the other parent, then a parentage action. The clerk of court would have these forms. In addition, here is a link with the forms for you to review and select based upon the situation. It is important to remember that the Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child. Based upon what you stated above, if the mother is out 4-5 times a week, at night and the child is being neglected or in danger, there is a basis to remove the child from the home and place him in your care, until this can be resolved.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions