LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

i was born in puerto rico and my birth certificate reflects

Customer Question

i was born in puerto rico and my birth certificate reflects my name as rosa Elena Arce.When i arrived in the us my name was inadvertently changed to Rosalina Arce.When I contacted the Puerto rican authorities they would not issue me a new birth certificate because the id I sent to them did not reflect Osa Elena but reflected Rosalina. How would I go about changing my first and middle name to Rosa Elena and then get the puerto rican authorities to issue me a copy of my birth certificate which reflects Rosa Elena or would it be easier to change my name on the birth certificate to Rosalina which now reflects Rosa Elena.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rosalina,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. I am honestly sorry for your circumstances, very much appreciate your patronage, and am glad to try and help out.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to say that a solution does exist here, although the procedure has changed fairly recently (Law 191 of 2009, amended June 2010). Here's how this works. You need to address it at the root, meaning through the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration. If I'm understanding your situation correctly, there has been no official name change, so your original birth certificate is correct and reflects the name you want and need to bear. But, the Government denied you access on account of your identification. Well, fortunately the law allows for a number of other folks to obtain your birth certificate (parents or guardians -- if applicable; or if not, then an heir or other authorized person). Here's an overview of the process:

Fact Sheet

Given your rather unusual circumstances, that's your easiest approach. Otherwise, you're looking at retaining legal counsel, filing a case in Puerto Rico, and going to Court to prove your true identity by means of affidavits, witness statements and so forth.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no family in puerto rico, but I have 3 children and my husband all who live either in New York or Florida.Would they have to actually appear in Puerto Rico to request a copy of the birth certificate. All my childrens birth certificates reflects the mothers name as Rosalina and not Rosa Elena.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rosalina,
Thanks for writing back...good to hear from you again!
No, ma'am', that's the beauty of the law. All you would need to do is ask one of your children to make the request by following the same instructions outlined in the information I provided. Or, here's a really easy and fast way to do it:
VitalChek
Take care,
Ben, J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
other then vitalcheck how would they go about obtaining a copy.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
They would go to www.pr.gov and then click "Certificado de Nacimiento"
or
They could use a slower process and mail in this document:
Application
Kind regards,
Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what id would they need to submit to obtain a copy of the birth certificate. As my last alternative if I were to obtain a court order in Fl.changing my first name to Rosa Elena would the PR authorities give me a copy of my birth certificate if I sent them a copy of the order.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Rosalina,

Nice to hear from you. I'm about to step away from my computer, but I saw you had written back and didn't want to leave you hanging.
You could certainly go the route of seeking a Florida Court Order. However, it would be greatly more expensive and time consuming than obtaining an original birth certificate for $5 from Puerto Rico. The application form specifies that your relative would need to include "a photocopy of a recent valid photo-identification card", so either a state identification card of their driver's license would suffice just fine.
Best regards,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your assistance in this matter it is greatly appreciated.bye now
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rosalina,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much it was very nice working with you thank you for all
your help and advise this week I will have my son send some information to
Vital Check and see if I get any response I will definitely let you know if
this doesn't accomplish what I need I will definitely contact you again.

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rosalina,

You are quite welcome...my pleasure entirely to be of service!
Thank you for the kindness of your favorable rating...very much appreciated!

Ben, J.D.