LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

The rights of a wife in husbands death or killing when separated

The rights of a wife in husband's death or killing when separated for 8yrs

Hello Ricky,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. I am honestly sorry for your circumstances, very much appreciate your patronage, and am glad to try and help out. I also send my sincere condolences on the loss.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to say that the law is clear in such a case. Here's how this works. If the husband died with a will, then the provisions thereof govern. In other words, if the will says "no showing" or "I want a showing", that final request will be honored. However, if the person died without a will, then the preference of the spouse will govern. This is the case even though the couple was separated for a number of years, as long as a final divorce decree had not been entered by the Court.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok but does that mean his family has to pay for the burial and let her pay nothing
Hello Ricky,
Thanks for writing back...good to hear from you again!
No, sir, the law certainly does not provide so, not at all. Burial expenses, as well as the expenses of the illness leading to the death (if applicable), are a debt of the estate of the decedent -- not the surviving family. Those expenses are to be paid out of the monies left behind by the decedent. Otherwise, it falls to the spouse -- not the other relatives such as siblings and so forth -- to pay up. Such people have no such legal responsibility, period. If they want to do so voluntarily, that's fine, but the law does not impose such a duty.
Take care,
Ben, J.D.
Hello Ricky,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just stop she got her way we paid for him no showing we will never be satisfied with the way she handled this thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much :