Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I purchased a car 2006 . My mother and Father paid for it

I purchased a car 2006 . My mother and Father paid for it as part of my inheritance which I was to take out of my part of the inheritance once they both passed. I was single at the time but living with my now wife. We married in 2008. We are now getting a divorce and she wants the car. I have 2 trucks one that does not run and the other needs to be rewired. It is not safe to drive.We sold her car in 2011 but I can get it back and give to her at no charge. Whaat is the law with inheriance properity. Both cars do not have leins
Dear JACUSTOMER - The car would not be considered as "inheritance" property since it was not inherited as part of an estate and was simply a gift from your parents. However, it is considered prior owned property that was brought into the marriage and that has the same effect as inherited property so long as it has been kept separate in your name only. You have a right to keep any property you bring into a marriage however if it goes up in value then you would have to divide the amount of increase with your spouse in your divorce. I doubt the car went up in value so that would not be a concern. So you can keep the car and if she wants one of the other vehicles she should be able to take one of them.